List:       freebsd-hackers
Subject:    Re: Kernel Memory Limit
From:       Terry Lambert <tlambert2 () mindspring ! com>
Date:       2001-12-31 18:51:41

Matthew Dillon wrote:
>     KVM is only 1G, and a lot of is used-up.  You cannot allocate
>     (directly map) hundreds of megabytes of kernel memory.

You can crank up the KVA space, though the handbook is wrong for
-release, and woefully out of date for -current.

You can also do big allocations, if you do them at startup, but
they require heroic measures and have their own limitations.

See my other (longer) posting for a clearer explanation.

-- Terry