List:       freebsd-fs
Subject:    FUSE extended attribute patches available
From:       Ken Merry <ken () freebsd ! org>
Date:       2016-02-29 21:45:03

I have patches for FreeBSD's FUSE filesystem kernel module to support extended \
attributes:

https://people.freebsd.org/~ken/fuse_extattr.20160229.1.txt

The patch implements the get/set/delete/list extended attribute methods.  The listing \
code also converts extended attribute lists from the Linux/FUSE format to the FreeBSD \
format.  For example:

# touch foo
# ls -la foo
-rwxrwxrwx  1 root  wheel  0 Feb 29 21:40 foo
# lsextattr user foo
foo
# setextattr user testattr1 "12345678" foo
# lsextattr user foo
foo     testattr1
# getextattr user testattr1 foo
foo     12345678
# setextattr user testattr2 "87654321" foo
# lsextattr user foo
foo     testattr2       testattr1
# rmextattr user testattr1 foo
# lsextattr user foo
foo     testattr2
# getextattr user testattr1 foo
getextattr: foo: failed: Attribute not found
# getextattr user testattr2 foo
foo     87654321

Just to be clear on what this does, it only provides extended attribute support to \
FreeBSD applications if the underlying FUSE filesystem implements FUSE extended \
attribute support.  Many FUSE filesystems don't support the extended attribute VFS \
operations.

I have tested this out on IBM's LTFS implementation, but I have not yet found another \
FUSE filesystem that supports extended attributes.  If anyone knows of one, please \
let me know so I can try it out.  (I looked through a number of the filesystems in \
sysutils/fusefs* in the ports tree.)

Any feedback is welcome.  I'm planning to check this into FreeBSD/head in the next \
week or so.

Obviously, I've also ported IBM's LTFS implementation to FreeBSD.  It works in the \
standard FUSE mode, and you can also link it into an application as a library if you \
don't want to incur the overhead of running through FUSE.  I haven't gotten around to \
packaging it up to go out for testing / review.

If anyone has IBM LTO-5 or newer tape drives, or IBM TS1140 or newer tape drives, and \
wants to try it out, let me know.  I'll send you the code when I've got it at least \
somewhat ready.  This is IBM-specific, and won't work on HP tape drives.

Ken
—
Ken Merry
ken@FreeBSD.ORG