List:       freebsd-emulation
Subject:    Re: /dev, /proc support in a chrooted Linux emulation environment
From:       Gao Long <urgaolong () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2004-09-15 7:13:52

I believe that you have run into the same problem I have met before.

There are two main causes that make /dev unavailable to linux applications: first , \
the device names differs in the two operating system, like /dev/tty0 and /dev/ttyv0 \
in FreeBSD and Linux; second, the major and minor device numbers, which mostly \
checked and used in the glibc , differ in the two operating systems, as about the \
virtual terminals.
The emulation layer of the FreeBSD doesn't care about these differences, but I want:)

I placed a table mapping the devices names and major/minor numbers from Linux to \
FreeBSD styles.And find it work well, eliminating the differences of devices of the \
two different os from the applications' view, at least the difference of virtual \
terminals , hard disk partitions, even pysedo terminals, and are going to find \
anything that can't be mapped;)
Yet , I don't have the complete knowledge about the devices,  I think I have to study \
LANANA first , and the devices of FreeBSD second, and then , I may be able to develop \
the mapping better.
What is more , I think I have already written a message on this mailing-list before, \
I may try to find it out.

"Conrad J. Sabatier" <conrads@cox.net> wrote:

I've been exploring running Linux binaries under a chrooted Linux shell
(entering the environment via "chroot /compat/linux /bin/bash"). I've
had remarkable success in installing and running quite a few rpms beyond
those found in the linux_base port, but have found that /dev support (as
well as /proc) doesn't work as expected when running Linux apps within
such an environment.

Programs/scripts attempting to access, for example, /dev/null complain
about no such file or device. The same for /dev/ttyX, /dev/zero, etc.

Similar problems occur attempting to use /proc/*. I'm also experiencing
some networking problems, mainly with DNS resolution, but for now, my
main concern is /dev and /proc.

I realize that the method I'm using for running Linux apps is not what
was intended with FreeBSD's Linux emulation mode, but it's interesting
enough that I want to continue delving into it. My goal is to have as
near-complete a working Linux environment as possible, one that would
support running practically any Linux app within this chrooted
environment and would, for all intents and purposes, appear as a "real"
Linux to any programs running within it.

Are there any suggestions as to how I might remedy some of these
problems? Or is this simply beyond the scope/capabilities of the Linux
emulator at this time?

--
Conrad J. Sabatier -- "In Unix veritas"