List:       freebsd-doc
Subject:    docs/66091: ppp(8) docs out-of-date for -CURRENT
From:       Jens Schweikhardt <schweikh () freebsd ! org>
Date:       2004-04-29 18:16:28

> Number:         66091
> Category:       docs
> Synopsis:       ppp(8) docs out-of-date for -CURRENT
> Confidential:   no
> Severity:       non-critical
> Environment:
System: FreeBSD hal9000.schweikhardt.net 5.2-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.2-CURRENT #0: Fri Apr \
23 22:09:10 CEST 2004 \
toor@hal9000.schweikhardt.net:/share/HEAD/obj/share/HEAD/src/sys/HAL9000 i386

> From ppp(8):

[...]
GETTING STARTED
     When you first run ppp you may need to deal with some initial configura-
     tion details.

     o   Your kernel must include a tunnel device (the GENERIC kernel includes
         one by default).  If it doesn't, or if you require more than one tun
         interface, you'll need to rebuild your kernel with the following line
         in your kernel configuration file:

               pseudo-device tun N

         where N is the maximum number of PPP connections you wish to support.

     o   Check your /dev directory for the tunnel device entries /dev/tunN,
         where `N' represents the number of the tun device, starting at zero.
         If they don't exist, you can create them by running "sh ./MAKEDEV
         tunN".  This will create tun devices 0 through N.

pseudo devices are long gone, and I believe the number of instances as well.
MAKEDEV is also not needed when devfs is used, AFAICT.

> How-To-Repeat:
	man ppp
> Fix:
	Have a ppp guru read over the man page.