List:       freebsd-doc
Subject:    Re: docs
From:       Gregory Sutter <gsutter () zer0 ! org>
Date:       2000-05-17 23:27:15

On 2000-05-17 16:17 -0700, kkk kkk <kaz1n@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hello I was wondering if you could help me I'm new with unix, I have had 2
> months experiance with linux and have tried to switch to freebsd for i heard
> it was the best.
> After i installed it it gave me a prompt under root how would I install
> packages or say on this. Can't kde or say gnome be installed at the
> installtion??
> If theres any docs of what you do just after the installtion it would be of
> great help

Here's a just-after-installation doc:
  http://www.daemonnews.org/200005/newbies.html

I also suggest that you try sysinstall again, by executing
  /stand/sysinstall
and selecting "Configure an existing system", then "configure
XFree86 desktop".  From there, you can automagically install
X and one of several toolkits and window managers.

Finally, don't miss the FreeBSD Handbook, the all-knowing, all-seeing
guide to doing anything with FreeBSD.  Well, we're working on it,
anyway.
  http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/

Good luck!

Greg
--
Gregory S. Sutter                       "How do I read this file?"
mailto:gsutter@zer0.org                 "You uudecode it."