List:       freebsd-cvsweb
Subject:    1st degree verbal assault and battery hate crime at Applebees
From:       "PC GURU" <pc_guru () charterinternet ! com>
Date:       2005-01-21 20:34:21

Hello freebsd-cvsweb@freebsd.org,

Happy New Year to you.

Well, I ended 2004 by being called a "nigger" several times by a white terrorist in \
APPLEBEES on December 30.  The reason I'm posting you is to seek your advice as to \
what rights I have in a violent verbal assault,  and hate crime situation like this. \
What would you do if something this devilish had happened to you?

This is the second time this has happened to me in the same Applebees. The first time \
was about five years ago when I overheard a professional person  using the "N" word \
to a white woman friend of his as they sat across from me at the bar.

She was telling him that she had found a new boyfriend and thought that things were \
going to work out well for her. The fellow looked at her and then said "I hope he's \
not a "nigger" I was astounded that he had said something so lowlife in a full club \
with about 20 people sitting at the bar and the rest of the tables nearby full as \
well.

The bartender had been living with an African American male for over five years at \
the time. She looked astounded, and turned to me as if she couldn't believe her ears. \
I turned to the white people on each side of me, and asked them if they were going to \
say something to the person. They are always saying that they are not prejudiced. so \
this would have been the perfect time for some of them to back up their words with \
action.

 They did nothing! They just looked at each other in that silly "HUH Head" look that \
they utilize when they run into an idea that they had never considered before on the \
subject of race. The manager did come out and ask him to leave. He did so and to my \
knowledge he has never gone back. I have seen the fellow in other clubs where the \
clientele is more receptive to his modo di pensare. I did nothing official that time. \
This time I'm trying to determine what the best way to proceed would be. Here are \
most of the facts as to what occurred last Thursday, the 30th of December 2004.

I went out to Applebees here in Cape Girardeau, Missouri around 2100. I sat on the \
north end of the bar next to several young white women. One of them was named \
"VanMater" from the Buick family here. I talked to them about various subjects for \
about 30 minutes and bought them some Frangelico. They had never tasted it so I \
thought I would let them sample something different since they were kind enough to \
talk to me a 58 year young African American. Most whites won't.

Then they left and a friend of mine from Birmingham Alabama called me on his cell \
phone. We talked for about fifteen minutes about the state of the world and how \
savage, and inhumane so many Americans are in their thinking when it comes to how \
they view others around the world.

Out of the corner of my right eye, I notice the young blond white woman to my right \
pushing a picture of a cute bi-racial child towards me. I picked it up and looked at \
it. Then I complimented the female on having a little girl that was so cute. After a \
few more minutes of talking to my friend, I hung up and started talking to the young \
blonde white woman, her female friend next to her, and her Canadian boyfriend to her \
right.

The blonde's name was what it is. She said she was a hair stylist at a salon here.  I \
was telling them about how my cousin owned the Harlem Globetrotter basketball team, \
and how there had been a couple of streets named after my mothers family around here. \
I was basically giving them a quick history on some black folks who were highly \
respected in this area.

After about twenty minutes or so this 40ish white ball cap wearing, truck driver \
looking white fellow across the bar asked me when we had graduated from high school. \
I told him when I had graduated, and then N told him when she graduated. The white \
supremacist then said "One of you is right, and one of you is a fucking nigger"

 I picked up my cell phone and called the police as the Applebees manager was not on \
the scene. I had no idea what that piece of white trash would do next. After a few \
minutes Ed, the manager came over to the WS, and told him that he had to leave the \
club.

The fellow got up and slowly walked toward the door selling wolf tickets all the way. \
The policeman arrived and he stood in the vestibule and talked to the manager of \
Applebees. He never came over and asked me anything; nor did he advise me of my \
rights in that situation.

I'm one of the charter members of Applebees here. I have been going there since about \
six months after they opened in 1991, and I've never had a serious incident like this \
one

So I went back to talking to the three people. Now of course we were talking about \
the white supremacist and his actions. One white 20ish female caught my eye, grinned \
and gave me the thumbs up sign. Apparently she was happy that he was gone.

 After about 20 minutes, another young white female stopped behind me and told me \
that the fellow was still in the parking lot in his truck. None of the other white \
men there, except for the canadian fella I was talking to had anything positive to \
say to me, and they said nothing to the WS who started the whole incident. Why am I \
not surprised?

 So I called the police department again. I relayed the information to the police and \
sat back once more. After a few minutes the officer arrived and for the second time, \
the Applebees manager met him in the vestibule, and they talked for a few minutes. \
Again, the policeman never came over to talk to me at all. Now I really felt \
something odd was going on because I'm the one doing the calling, but no one wants to \
talk to me. Is that normal police procedure now across the USA?

Nicole was very quiet while the white guy was calling me a nigger. She got on her \
cell phone and called her biracial boyfriend and told him to come by. The other \
couple got  Up and left after a half hour or so. Then this attractive light skinned \
black man about 25 came in and Nicole snuggled up in his arms as he sat down beside \
her.

She told him what had happened and he began telling us what all behind he would have \
kicked had it been done to him. He told me he was a criminal and didn't play that \
sort of mess. The more we discussed it the more they seemed to try to blame me for \
everything. I asked Nicole why she had become such a chatterbox now that her black \
boyfriend had arrived. She laughed and said that she felt safe now. They continued \
spewing out all sort of nonsense about race that mentally confused Bi-racials, and \
uninformed Caucasians tend to do. So after fifteen minutes of listening to their \
ignorance, I told them I had to go. I wished them a happy New Year and walked outside \
to the parking lot.

I saw the truck was still there. So when I left I drove around town in a random \
manner for about fifteen minutes to see if I was being followed. When I felt that I \
wasn't I headed on home and called it a night. I decided to stay home for New Years \
eve as I didn't want to run into any more of these beer drinking, ball cap wearing \
rabid, mad dog, psychotic folks like I had the night before. I didn't want to start \
the New Year being a victim, or being in jail for harming some piece of trash.

I haven't heard anything at all from Applebees yet. I'm not surprised however. They \
didn't say or do anything when I called them about the first incident.

So there you have it. What should I do in this situation? What are my rights? I've \
emailed Applebees twice, and spoke to them twice, but so far they have done nothing.

I think an apology is owed and reparations should be given.

I would really appreciate it if you would take a few minutes of your time to think \
about this and then email me back with your suggestions if you think there is a fair \
and just remedy for me here.

Amicably Yours

If you have a  interest in being helpful to me then,
email me at clb6969@charterinternet.com

So mote it be