List:       freebsd-current
Subject:    Re: AMD Ryzen 5 3400G with Radeon Vega Graphics
From:       Neel Chauhan <nc () FreeBSD ! org>
Date:       2021-08-07 15:43:43

On 2021-08-05 09:42, Hans Petter Selasky wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was lucky to get the hands on a mini-ITX containing a
> "AMD Ryzen 5 3400G with Radeon Vega Graphics".
>
> FreeBSD-13 installed just fine and 4K HDMI output works too with
> AMDGPU. However I noticed some problems with a webcamd DVB-T receiver,
> that it had lots of dropouts I couldn't understand. When I looked
> closer at this it turns out that something was blocking the threads
> for longer amounts of time, up to 100 ms at random. After some
> debugging I eventually found:
>
> sysctl machdep.idle
>
> machdep.idle: acpi
> machdep.idle_available: spin, mwait, hlt, acpi
>
> And when I set it to:
>
> sysctl machdep.idle=spin
>
> The problems I saw vanished.
>
> Anyone else having such experiences with Ryzen?

I have an Ryzen 5800X-based HP Omen 30L desktop, and don't have any
issues, but the Omen has a Nvidia GPU and not a Radeon. I don't do live
TV at all, haven't done so in a while.

Two other PCs I had, both with Ryzen 3700Xs, my former Omen Obelisk and
a homebuilt ASRockRack X470D4U server had no issues either.

The server obviously doesn't have a GPU but both the 30L and Obelisk
could play Toontown Rewritten under Wine without a hitch.

I don't know which brand of PC or motherboard you have, but HP and
ASRockRack both have no issues whatsoever. Not sure about regular ASRock
(or HPE) though.

Intel TigerLake/"Evo" was way more buggy for me than Ryzen ever was (not
just drm-kmod). I ended up selling my TGL laptop and am in fact getting
an Ryzen-based laptop to replace it.

-Neel (nc@)