List:       freebsd-chat
Subject:    Re: 10th Anniversary Live Bootable CD
From:       Matt Olander <matt () offmyserver ! com>
Date:       2003-11-25 22:43:24

On Tue, Nov 25, 2003 at 02:39:29PM -0800, Dan Strick wrote:
> Has anyone tried out the FreeBSD 10th Anniversary Live Bootable CD given
> out last night at the FreeBSD 10th Anniversary party in San Francisco?
> I was hoping it would make a convenient emergency fixit CD and be a good
> FreeBSD advocacy tool.  I gave it a spin this morning.  It spit out
> disconcerting warning and error messages while booting, required some
> manual configuration during bootstrap, was missing a lot of programs
> needed for system repairs (e.g. boot0cfg), required some fudging to
> fsck a ufs file system and pasting into an xterm using the middle
> mouse button didn't work.

hey Dan,

we made it more as a novelty and portable desktop than a fixit.
that's why we were also giving out full FreeBSD box sets too ;)
honestly, we didn't really have alot of time but we tested it on
quite a few systems and it worked pretty well.

the slightly manual X config is so it will work on more systems than
not. it's definitely going to be a work in progress and we're thinking
of doing a couple of different versions, such as a fixit and a desktop.

> Worse, the CD is too small to use as a coaster.

not if your drinking a glass of port ;)

> Has anyone had a better experience?
>
> (Note: I don't intend this as a serious complaint.  After all, it was
> a freebie.  However, I was somewhat disappointed.)

as I said, that's our first version and Seth Kingsley did put alot of
work into it, but we didn't have much time before the party. I expect it
will get much better before it gets worse.

-matt

--
Matt Olander
(408)943-4100 Phone