List:       freebsd-chat
Subject:    A poor traveller...
From:       Mark Murray <mark () grondar ! za>
Date:       1998-04-24 18:30:34

Hi

In about 2 months (or just under) I may be heading off to the good old
U S of A to attend Usenix. I intend to take a bit of a
vacation afterward, and would enjoy meeting some of my email
aquaintances along the way.

Problem: I am not rich, and our local currency translates very badly
into US$, so If possible, I'd appreciate hints/suggestions for places
to stay. I am not above mooching a bed from someone (if they'll have me)
and I promise not to overstay my welcome. ;-)

My intended length-of-stay is a few weeks from about halfway through
June until {whenever my money runs out}/{8 weeks later} (whichever comes
first).

My intended itinerary begins in New Orleans on +- 13th June, and lasts
for a week while Usenix happens. Afterward, I'm looking at something
like (In no particular order):

* A week in DC (I really want to see the museums).
* A few days in Montana (I hear the mountains are beautiful)
* A week with my brother in (Just north of Vanvouver, BC) (Yes, I know
  it is Canada).
* Some time in San Francisco - I hear that comedy clubs can be good
  there - and meet the FreeBSD crowd there. Also drool at the bookshops.
* I am told Portland Oregon is ggod - mebbe take a look there.
* National parks in the region Yellowstone, Yosemite?
* 2 days (max) in Vegas :-) (maybe)
* Florida - 'Gator country - Eat me some Cajun shrimp. Hehehe!

Other - National parks? I like animals and wide-open space. Suggestions?
	Florida - Space museum? Maybe.
	What else is famous for good food?
	Other museums?
	Disney(land|world). Dunno. Maybe.

The air ticket(s) will not be too bad, it is the accomodation that is a
killer, so I'd be grateful for any tips, hints, suggesions or offers.

I can bring over some South African wine/brandy, Biltong, or whatever...

:-)

Mark Murray