List:       freebsd-chat
Subject:    Re: POSIX Conformance (Unanswered in "questions" so I forwarded...)
From:       Terry Lambert <terry () lambert ! org>
Date:       1996-10-30 23:00:31

> Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org> writes:
>
> Redirected to chat.
>
> > Note that having access to the NIST/PCTS is not the same as being
> > certified.  Certification still requires an authorized testing laboratory
> > to run the test, and it only applies to a particular release level: the
>
> What happens when you apply patches to a certified OS? Is the
> certification then void? Do Sun get each patchlevel certified because
> we run with loads of patches on our systems, does that make them
> non-certified :-)

Within boundries, the certification is still valid for the base OS
-- without the patches.

If you make a new release, it must be certified.

For FreeBSD, if Jordan were to pursue certification as FreeBSD, Inc., it
would apply to the release certified only.  The "snapshot" process is
effectively a release process for uncertified kernels.

Certification costs enough that most companies modify their process to
*not* do things like "snapshots" to avoid the decertification: they use
patches instead.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---