List:       freebsd-arm
Subject:    Re: https://github.com/pftf/RPi4 unusable for FreeBSD since at least Sept 2023
From:       Mark Millard <marklmi () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2024-01-20 18:41:42

On Jan 20, 2024, at 10:20, Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Jan 20, 2024, at 09:27, void <void@f-m.fm> wrote:
>
> > I found there were i/o performance problems with 13.1 msdos materials and \
> > 14-stable OS, so tried again this time with the very latest -current
> > FreeBSD-15.0-CURRENT-arm64-aarch64-RPI-20240118-7a4d1d1df0b2-267640.img
> > and wrote that in the usual way to the usb3 disk and this time it didn't
> > try tftp booting, so, this problem is 'fixed'.
>
> That likely has U-Boot 2024.01 instead.
>
> > The only downside being that I couldn't make different ufs2 partitions with this
> > installation method obviously.
> >
> > But it's not really a 'downside'; I'll live with it. disk i/o performance seems \
> > to be fine so far. Thanks everyone for your help & suggestions.
>
> Glad you got an acceptable combination.
>
> I'll note that pkg base is also providing a non-DEBUG
> main [so: 15] kernel, in addition to the DEBUG one.
> (Both have symbols available.) I just started my pkg
> base experiments last night. (I started from a
> snapshot.) pkg base does not directly deal with some
> of the msdosfs content of itself. But it can provide
> for regular updates being available and installable
> without building from source code, including the
> non-debug kernel.
>
> I've also set up a pkg base stable/14 media.
>
> pkg base may make 1 GiByte stable/* and main systems
> viable longer by avoiding buidlworld buildkernel and
> such (for those needing no tailoring that buildworld
> buildkernel allow for).

By the way:

https://github.com/tianocore/edk2-platforms/tree/master/Platform/RaspberryPi/RPi4

Reports in the status section of the page about using
EDK2 UEFI/fdt related modes in its implementation:

QUOTE
• Device Tree boot of OSes such as Linux may not work at all. For this reason, the \
provision of a Device Tree is disabled by default in the user settings, in order to \
enforce ACPI boot. END QUOTE

There is some question for if various notes have been kept
up to date. Still . . .

===
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com