List:       freebsd-arm
Subject:    SSD 500GB, has several slices, FreeBSD-ARM64 Snapshot 14, installed to a slice.
From:       Fred Finster <wb7odyfred () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2022-02-08 11:33:50

I will post details and pictures to https://ghostbsd-arm64.blogpost.com
to better explain my confusion

I want to thank  Bob Prohaska for his little notes on setting up
Raspberry Pi 4B at http://www.zefox.net/~fbsd/u-boot_cheatsheet for
booting from a USB SSD disk. http://www.zefox.net/~fbsd/ Check his other
notes on booting Raspberry Pi 3+ and 4B SBCs.

I am searching and looking for using EFIBOOTMGR to setup the SSD to boot
from a slice.  There is an error about NO BootOrder setup and missing
ubootefi.var value.

So I can boot from a USB 2.0 Flash drive with the FreeBSD 14.0 RPI3
snapshot installed.  I did  install same image to a slice on the 500GB
SATA SSD , but did not make any other changes or settings.  Still
looking for the Instructions, Dance Steps, what ever it takes to make
the SSD boot for a self contained system.

I document here the steps, so others can follow.

Install FreeBSD 14.0 Snapshot RPI3 to USB Flash Drive:

download from freebsd.org/where
https://download.freebsd.org/snapshots/arm64/aarch64/ISO-IMAGES/14.0/FreeBSD-14.0-CURRENT-arm64-aarch64-RPI-20220127-2c449a4c5a3-252673.img.xz \
 2022 01 27 date snapshot

Note:  unxz
FreeBSD-14.0-CURRENT-arm64-aarch64-RPI-20220127-2c449a4c5a3-252673.img.xz

dd if=./FreeBSD-ARM64-RPI3.img of=/dev/da1  bs=1m conv=notrunc
status=progress

Install FreeBSD 14.0 Snapshot RPI3 to USB 3.0 500GB SSD in an external
HornetTek metal case Drive enclosure:

dd if=./FreeBSD-ARM64-RPI3.img of=/dev/da1p4  bs=1m conv=notrunc
status=progress

Look at the location difference between  a single USB Flash drive stick
/dev/da1   and the SDD /dev/da1p4  into a slice (linux primary partition
) versus if  I used /dev/da1 for the whole disk.  So does the U-Boot
have logic to do both to boot from a SSD (1.) boot whole drive and then
2.0 boot a single Slice that has 2 partitions 1.) MSDOS FAT32 2.) BSD
with a label. )

So I am missing  efibootmrg on  aarch64 FreeBSD 14.0 snapshot to set the
"boot order".  Missing ubootefi.var  variables?

So  look at more details here at https://ghostbsd-arm64.blogspot.com
{not like a web page with text files, yet I can display pictures I took
with a camera here }.AR  I have not made the post "Booting 500 GB SSD on
FreeBSD-ARM64-14.0 January 27, 2022  snapshot". yet.

Simply,  I am asking:

  1.)  Can U-BOOT and UEFI handle booting from an image installed to a
slice or does it have to be an image installed to a full disk?  How do
you point the UEFI loader to select this one slice? Which tools
accomplish that?  Are those tools already loaded inside the snapshot
image downloaded from FreeBSD.org/where ??  I don't have ethernet access
here and the internal wifi device does not have a working device driver
for the Broadcom wifi.

  2.)  Is there a method, to boot Rod Smiths rEFInd aaarch64 boot
manager to allow FreeBSD 14 ARM64, POP!_OS ARM64, Manjaro Linux ARM64,
Raspup 8.2.1 (ARM32) from the same disk?   Is there a UEFI work around
using EFIBOOTMGR, EFI commands: printenv , setenv, run bootcmd  ??

URLS to read are good resource, that I would read.

pss.  Hard when you are starting out, to now what commands to issue in which sequence \
for the desired effect, unless you follow a pattern worked out by someone else. If I \
run eifbootmgr on my FreeBSD developer machine with the SSD plugged in.  It sees the \
other devices and proceeds to setup the boot order for the development machine, not \
the SSD disk that has be plugged in termporarily.   The answer is something simple, \
that I have not read about using before.  Or so obvious a child could do it.

--
Fred Finster
email:Fred.Suyimazu@theGalacticZoo.com