List:       freebsd-arm
Subject:    Re: RPi 4B USB 3 support appears to still be broken in 13.0-RELEASE
From:       Stefan Haller <stefan.haller () stha ! de>
Date:       2021-04-19 15:35:56

Hi Robert,

On Mon, Apr 19, 2021 at 05:10:56PM +0200, Robert Clausecker wrote:
> I've since managed to diagnose the issue and closed the PR.
> The problem is that the disk is a 4k disk but for some weird
> reason, FreeBSD thinks 512b sector accesses are ok.

This makes a lot of sense. For ZFS I always defaulted to ashift=12,
because I assume that even for older disks it probably doesn't hurt. As
I moved only quite recently to FreeBSD I did not no about this option
for GELI.

In my case the USB-SATA bridge is most likely doing weird stuff.
camcontrol identify /dev/da0 reports this (which is probably wrong):

> sector size           logical 512, physical 512, offset 0

Now that I know the answer to this old problem of my initial journey to
FreeBSD on the Raspberry Pi, I can finally remove the old dmesg dump
from my disk. :)

Thanks,
Stefan