List:       freebsd-arm
Subject:    Re: ARM Graviton AWS Processor (AMI Image)
From:       Greg V <greg () unrelenting ! technology>
Date:       2019-01-22 18:39:59

On Mon, Jan 21, 2019 at 1:11 PM, Martin Karrer <martin@bmalum.com>
wrote:
> Hello,
> This is my first message on the mailing list, please forgive me for
> making mistakes 😉
>
> My question is if there are any plans yet to support the Graviton ARM
> instances of AWS?
>
> We have a heavy load on FreeBSD and would also use the ARM instances.
> Are there any other interested parties?
>
> I would be happy to donate my time and help.

I have tried this. It should work very well in theory, e.g. the network
card driver (if_ena) compiles with no changes for aarch64, and in fact
NetBSD has ported this driver and is up and running on these instances:
https://dmesgd.nycbug.org/index.cgi?do=view&id=4623

But my result with FreeBSD was: nothing on the console after loader.efi
hands control to the kernel.

My build patches: https://reviews.freebsd.org/D18372 &
https://reviews.freebsd.org/D18371

Unfortunately, AWS still has a read-only serial console (WTF?!), so
debugging systems there is a very frustrating experience of "stop
instance, detach disk, attach it to a running instance, do changes,
reattach back, start". And it feels like each of these steps runs
sleep(10000) when handling requests.

I probably didn't see anything because the serial port wasn't
configured. Seems like AWS in their infinite wisdom have decided to
only provide their fancy PCIe based serial port. I have tried adding
its PCI ID to various places, configuring various boot variables with
the memory address that Linux/ACPI shows for that device, etc. but that
didn't help.