List:       freebsd-arch
Subject:    Re: Updating our TCP and socket sysctl values...
From:       "Bjoern A. Zeeb" <bzeeb-lists () lists ! zabbadoz ! net>
Date:       2011-05-04 20:39:17

On Mar 19, 2011, at 6:37 AM, George Neville-Neil wrote:

Hey,

> I believe it's time for us to upgrade our sysctl values for TCP sockets so that
> they are more in line with the modern world.  At the moment we have these limits on
> our buffering:
>
> kern.ipc.maxsockbuf: 262144
> net.inet.tcp.recvbuf_max: 262144
> net.inet.tcp.sendbuf_max: 262144
>
> I believe it's time to up these values to something that's in line with higher \
> speed local networks, such as 10G.  Perhaps it's time to move these to 2MB instead \
> of 256K.
> Thoughts?

Yes, did you ever commit a change?  I would even go further up to 4M.

300ms x 100Mbit/s =~ 3.6M  which is about what I can get here as residential customer \
here as you can probably get in Japan, and that's about 300ms from some parts of \
Europe.

Equally it would allow me to get Gbit/s throughout most parts of the continent here \
and it's still 400Mbit/s East-to-West coast in theory if I got the maths right.

In addition to Gordon's values:
I think the current OSX maximum send/recvspace values you can set are around 3720000. \
The defaults are even more abysmal than FreeBSD's and I have yet to figure out to \
make the changes persistent over a reboot but ELIST.

So all in all I think the 2M are a save bet at least.

/bz

         Stop bit received. Insert coin for new address family.