List:       freebsd-announce
Subject:    [FreeBSD-Announce] FreeBSD Foundation's Year-End Fundraising Campaign!
From:       Deb Goodkin <deb () freebsdfoundation ! org>
Date:       2013-11-12 22:16:51

Dear FreeBSD Community,

Your donations have helped make FreeBSD the best open source operating syst=
em available! By investing in The FreeBSD Foundation you have helped us kee=
p FreeBSD a high-performance, secure, and stable operating system.

Thanks to people like you, the FreeBSD Foundation has been proudly supporti=
ng the FreeBSD Project and community for over 13 years now. We are incredib=
ly grateful for all the support we receive from you and so many individuals=
 and organizations that value FreeBSD. As of this writing we have raised $4=
27,000 towards our goal of raising $1,000,000. Would you consider making a =
gift to support our work in 2014?

Donations can easily be made here: http://www.freebsdfoundation.org/donate/.

This year your donations helped FreeBSD by:

=95      Funding development projects to improve FreeBSD, including: Native=
 iSCSI kernel stack, Updated Intel graphics chipset support, Integration of=
 Newcons, UTF-8 console support, Superpages for ARM architecture, and Layer=
 2 networking modernization and performance improvements.

=95      Hiring two more staff members to help with FreeBSD development pro=
jects, security, and release engineering.

=95      Educating the public and promoting FreeBSD. We are preparing the d=
ebut our new online magazine, the FreeBSD Journal. We created high-quality =
brochures to teach people about FreeBSD. We also visited companies to help =
facilitate collaboration efforts with the Project.

=95      Sponsoring BSD conferences and summits in Europe, Japan, Canada, a=
nd the US.

=95      Protecting FreeBSD IP and providing legal support to the Project.

=95      Purchasing hardware to build and improve FreeBSD project infrastru=
cture.

 =

But are you aware of the tangible benefits derived from our support of the =
FreeBSD community? Providing travel grants to FreeBSD volunteers is a great=
 way to invest in the future of FreeBSD. One person we sponsored was Google=
 Summer of Code student Mike Ma, who had the chance to present his work at =
EuroBSDCon. During his presentation he received valuable input that will he=
lp improve and verify his GSoC work. By attending the conference, he had th=
e opportunity to meet passionate FreeBSD developers who inspired him to lea=
rn as much as he could about their different projects. This encouraged him =
to continue working with his mentor and get involved in his mentor=92s work=
 as well as some lldb work.  =

Now that Mike's back at his university, he's been busy promoting and advoca=
ting for FreeBSD. In fact he's so passionate about the Project now that he =
convinced a friend who is working on programming languages to work on the c=
lang project, because it's relevant to his own work.

This one investment helped FreeBSD by providing an environment for a studen=
t to get more involved in the Project, and bring that enthusiasm back to hi=
s university to promote FreeBSD and encourage more students to get involved=
. This is an investment in the next generation of FreeBSD developers.

Donate today to help us continue and increase our support of the FreeBSD Pr=
oject and community worldwide! Making a donation is quick and easy. To make=
 a donation go to: http://www.freebsdfoundation.org/donate/.

Thank you for your support!

Sincerely,

Deb Goodkin

Secretary/Treasurer

The FreeBSD Foundation

P.S. Please make your investment in FreeBSD now, by making a donation today=
! To make a donation, go here: http://www.freebsdfoundation.org/donate/.