List:       freebsd-announce
Subject:    [FreeBSD-Announce] Foundation End-of-Year Fund Raising Drive Final
From:       Deb Goodkin <deb () freebsd ! org>
Date:       2009-12-30 20:47:22

Dear FreeBSD Community,

We want to extend a very sincere thank you to everyone who has made a
donation this year. Right now in Boulder, Colorado at around 1:30 PM,
December 30, we have logged $254,000 in donations from 833 donors! We
are so grateful for all the support.

But, we wanted to make one last plea for donations this year. Our goal
is $300,000. Please consider making a donation if you haven't already
made one. Or, better yet, talk to your employer. Though we know most of
you won't be working tomorrow.

Why make a donation? Right now we're putting together our 2010 budget.
Our goal for next year is to double our project development spending,
continue sponsoring BSD-related conferences, sponsor more developers to
travel to these conferences, and spend more on needed equipment for the
project.

Here is a list of what we did spend the money on in 2009:

•    Sponsored FreeBSD related conferences like BSDCan, EuroBSDCon,
AsiaBSDCon, KyivBSD, and DCBSDCon.

•    Provided 15 travel grants and funding to individuals to attend
these and other conferences this year.

•    Provided grants for projects that improve FreeBSD, like
wireless mesh support, FreeBSD TCP stack improvements, new console
driver, safe removal of disk devices, flattened device tree, and high
available storage projects.

•    Provided equipment for developers working to improve FreeBSD and
projects like the NetPerf cluster. We purchased servers, USB analyzers,
power controllers, and parts for computer repairs for the Project. We
also paid for shipping of equipment to various projects.

•    Provided legal support for the project on issues like understanding
the GPLv3 impact on FreeBSD, providing a privacy policy, trademark
ownership and permission, and other legal issues that come up.

To make a donation, please go to:

http://www.freebsdfoundation.org/donate/.

And thank you for your continued support of the FreeBSD Foundation.

Thank You,

The FreeBSD Foundation