List:       freebsd-amd64
Subject:    Re: amd64/182686: bios lost HDD after installing freebsd-9.x
From:       John Baldwin <jhb () freebsd ! org>
Date:       2013-10-07 16:20:00

The following reply was made to PR amd64/182686; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To: freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Cc: XXXXXX <rekunov@gmail.com>,
 freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2013 11:41:27 -0400

 On Saturday, October 05, 2013 10:18:42 am XXXXXX wrote:

 > >Number:         182686
 > >Category:       amd64
 > >Synopsis:       bios lost HDD after installing freebsd-9.x
 > >Confidential:   no
 > >Severity:       serious
 > I have installed freebsd-9.1 on my AMD 64 machine it worked well. But I h ave
 decided to go on 9.2 version and. I booted from usb, create slice and bsd-
 partitions on IDE hard drive using gpart and newfs. then i used bsdinstall  to
 install the system. after installing i make "shutdown -p now". When i turne d
 my computer on, BIOS did not detect any hard drive.
 > Then i installed system on SATA hard drive and have got the same result.
 When i connect this SATA drive to windows machine via USB - disk is OK. Aft er
 deleting FreeBSD slice and connecting the disk back to AMD64 its BIOS has
 detected the drive.

 Did you use GPT?  If so, try using MBR instead for partitioning your disk.

 --
 John Baldwin