List:       freebsd-amd64
Subject:    amd64/173502: Patch inhibition of warnings that appear in the combination of AMD FX Series CPU and p
From:       nanami <nanami () daiba ! cx>
Date:       2012-11-09 15:05:21

> Number:         173502
> Category:       amd64
> Synopsis:       Patch inhibition of warnings that appear in the combination of AMD \
>                 FX Series CPU and powerd
> Confidential:   no
> Severity:       non-critical
> Environment:
FreeBSD 9.1-RC3 #0: Fri Nov  9 23:18:11 JST 2012
    root@yumi.local:/usr/src/sys/amd64/compile/TEST1 amd64

CPU: AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor            (3991.47-MHz K8-class CPU)
  Origin = "AuthenticAMD"  Id = 0x600f20  Family = 15  Model = 2  Stepping = 0
  Features=0x178bfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,HTT>
  Features2=0x3e98320b<SSE3,PCLMULQDQ,MON,SSSE3,FMA,CX16,SSE4.1,SSE4.2,POPCNT,AESNI,XSAVE,OSXSAVE,AVX,F16C>
  AMD Features=0x2e500800<SYSCALL,NX,MMX+,FFXSR,Page1GB,RDTSCP,LM>
  AMD Features2=0x1ebbfff<LAHF,CMP,SVM,ExtAPIC,CR8,ABM,SSE4A,MAS,Prefetch,OSVW,IBS,XOP,SKINIT,WDT,LWP,FMA4,<b17>,NodeId,TBM,Topology,<b23>,<b24>>
  TSC: P-state invariant, performance statistics
real memory  = 17179869184 (16384 MB)

FreeBSD 9.0-RELEASE-p3 #0: Sun Jun 17 13:30:14 JST 2012
    ymda@miyu.yutan.daiba.cx:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/MIYU amd64
CPU: AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 3250 HE               (2494.64-MHz K8-class CPU)
  Origin = "AuthenticAMD"  Id = 0x600f12  Family = 15  Model = 1  Stepping = 2
  Features=0x178bfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,HTT>
  Features2=0x1698220b<SSE3,PCLMULQDQ,MON,SSSE3,CX16,SSE4.1,SSE4.2,POPCNT,AESNI,XSAVE,AVX>
  AMD Features=0x2e500800<SYSCALL,NX,MMX+,FFXSR,Page1GB,RDTSCP,LM>
  AMD Features2=0x1c9bfff<LAHF,CMP,SVM,ExtAPIC,CR8,ABM,SSE4A,MAS,Prefetch,OSVW,IBS,XOP,SKINIT,WDT,LWP,FMA4,NodeId,Topology,<b23>,<b24>>
  TSC: P-state invariant, performance statistics
real memory  = 8589934592 (8192 MB)

This patch is suppress the output warnings to the console
------------
hwpstate0: set freq failed, err 6
hwpstate0: set freq failed, err 6
------------
If displayed the message in environment
AMD FX or Opteron (Bulldozer, Piledriver)
AMD Fusion APU (Trinity)

When enabled, powerd the alert message is displayed on the console in this \
environment, lowering the clock has been carried out without any problems.

Has become virtually patch, just remove the sentence device_print, it does not make \
sense except in the appropriate environment.

I think for that, should not be provided as the default kernel, also considering \
performance considerations, only when a custom kernel, was carried out the following \
notation, and should be enabled.

in kernel config file
options  AMDFX

However, perhaps there is more to a good solution.

This behavior is not a significant issue, such as system crash after running system, \
that is what the first console is virtually impossible to use one.

The reason for creating the patch are those with future updates of FreeBSD, provides \
a method that can be easily updated as necessary not least for those without \
problems.

by nanami (@nanakochi123456) nanami@daiba.cx

> How-To-Repeat:
Install to FreeBSD on this env.
AMD FX or Opteron (Bulldozer, Piledriver)
AMD Fusion APU (Trinity) (Unconfirmed)

Enable AMD Cool'n'Quiet Technology
Enable FreeBSD powerd

> Fix:
As of patch, by thinking of performance, to create a custom kernel, it may be \
desirable features that can suppress the display, it is desirable if the original, it \
automatically detects the CPU, is to not to display .

Just do not want to see this message, it is that the console away from the first is \
always filled with this message