List:       freebsd-amd64
Subject:    Kernel Build
From:       Mark Ogden <ogden () eng ! utah ! edu>
Date:       2005-07-22 3:42:55

I installed 5.4 on a new dual opteron adm64 machine (its a Sun
W2100z). Everything went great but once the install was finished, of
course I had to rebuild the kernel to include: options SMP.
Since this was my first build of the kernel on this new machine, I
used GENERIC with the option SMP added. The build went fine but on the
reboot, usb devices did not come back, "No usb host controller" is what
gets printed to the screen during boot. By chance, I thought maybe,
just maybe I do have to use the separate SMP kernel that also by
default is put in /usr/src/sys/amd64/conf along with GENERICE. Nope,
same result. I can see from the output of 'kldstat -v' that the usb
modules are being loaded.

Any ideas on this? The W2100zs only have usb input for mouse and
keyboard so the idea of using this as my desktop machine are on hold
untill I can figure this problem out unless of course I just don't
rebuild the kernel :(

Thanks.

-Mark