List:       freebsd-alpha
Subject:    Re: kernel panic on AS100A
From:       Bernd Walter <ticso () cicely12 ! cicely ! de>
Date:       2005-02-15 23:58:23

On Tue, Feb 15, 2005 at 04:15:47PM -0700, Tom Ponsford wrote:

> Bernd Walter wrote:
> >On Sat, Feb 12, 2005 at 09:53:23AM -0700, Tom Ponsford wrote:
> >
> >>Hi All,
> >>
> >>I picked up a AS 1000A a few weeks ago. It has an EV5 300mhz cpu, 64MB
> >>mem, and 3 disks attached to a KZPSC raid controller ( a DAC960), , which
> >>is supported by freebsd.
> >>I upgraded to v2.70 on the raid controller and the dmesg readout did not
> >>show any error messages, BUT the machine get a kernel panic after
> >>mounting the mfsroot complaining about a memory management fault.
> >
> >Strange this is the fdc0 process.
> >Maybe you are getting out of physical RAM and the fdc driver fails to
> >handle this properly - 64M is not very much for such a machine.
> >

> Yeah, I'll dig up some more ram. but I wanted to see if the install worked
> first.
> It actually ran NT with that much ram.

Undoubtly a very old NT version, because NT doesn't support alpha
since years.
FreeBSD4.x memory load is also much less than that of 5.x.
Well - I did run -current on a 64M alpha only a few weeks ago, but with
a custom build kernel and without the install image loaded into a
memory disk.
Nevertheless - even if this is the cause we should at least get a
meaningfull error message instead of this panic.

bernd@bwct.de                                  info@bwct.de