List:       freebsd-alpha
Subject:    Re: Install Problem
From:       Andrew Gallatin <gallatin () cs ! duke ! edu>
Date:       2000-03-29 18:44:18

Kelly writes:

 > I know that this is not the problem, because I have the same problem
 > when I install from a ftp download.

And you're certain you've removed the CDROM & floppies?

 > any more Ideas.

Yes, boot verbosely (boot -fl v from SRM, or boot -v from the boot
loader), then scroll up & see what start_init() is saying about the
init path.  You might see something like:

init: not found in path /sbin/init

Also, report what it says about where it is mounting root from.  It
will be something like:
Mounting root from ufs:/dev/da1a

Cheers,

Drew

PS: In syscons, you can scroll up by toggling scroll lock & using pgup/pgdown.