List:       freebsd-alpha
Subject:    Re: ELF and Alpha conflict (lib/libc/nlist.c)
From:       John Birrell  <jb () cimlogic ! com ! au>
Date:       1998-07-08 23:38:04

Brent J. Nordquist wrote:
> My bootstrap buildworld stopped in lib/libc/nlist.c, throughout
> which Elf32_* structs are sprinkled liberally.  I hacked around it by
> #define'ing them to their Elf64_* equivalents in sys/alpha/elf.h (ick).
>
> Has anyone raised this issue with the ELFmeisters?  It seems like all
> code should use something like Elf_* structs that are mapped to Elf32_*
> or Elf64_* depending on platform.

I have a version with the 64 bit code in the same style as the rest of the
file. I haven't committed this because I don't think it is a clean solution.
NetBSD has a far cleaner way of dealing with the similarities or 32 and
64 bit elf without duplicating code.

--
John Birrell - jb@cimlogic.com.au; jb@freebsd.org http://www.cimlogic.com.au/
CIMlogic Pty Ltd, GPO Box 117A, Melbourne Vic 3001, Australia +61 418 353 137