List:       freebsd-advocacy
Subject:    Re: FreBSD Rulez
From:       Alex Kapranoff <alex () kapran ! bitmcnit ! bryansk ! su>
Date:       2000-01-16 16:00:25

On Fri, Jan 14, 2000 at 04:43:57PM -0800, John Wilson wrote:

> >   Same thing. This country is still staggering and it's sometimes really
> hard
> > to find job for a young professional.
>
> I really cannot imagine how this could possibly help someone get a job.

  Really cannot? He just showed himself to potential emloyers. As far as I
know he already has got several offers.

> Isn't attempting to gain unauthorised access to a computer a criminal
> offence in Russia?   Yes, sometimes customer sites can hire groups of

  Kind of. Haven't heard of any cases. Computer law here is rudimentary.

> hackers to perform "penetration testing" on their systems, but even then
> there are some problems.  If a company wants to hire someone to hack their
> own site, they must ensure that the scope of the hacking attempts are
> clearly defined beforehand, and the people they hire must ensure that they
> are insured against any accidental damage that they might cause to the
> system.
>
> I don't see it happening here.   How can a person break into a computer
> system, tell everyone he did it and expect to get away with it?    I realize
> that some laws are not enforced, but in this case it's like robbing a bank,
> killing a bunch of security guards, and then saying, "Hey!  Your security's
> no good - you gotta hire me guys!"

  Robbing a pot of gold and then saying "I know how to secure your money by
putting it in a safe! Hire me!"

> >   FreeBSD is strong in Russia. It doesn't need any advocacy here.
>
> Well it looks like it does - or people wouldn't be running Linux! :)

  Linux hype is just entering Russia. We've got no TV ads or stadium posters
with "Corel Linux!" yet, but major mass-media starts to notice Linux.
Meanwhile according to some survey (several months ago) about half of all
internet servers under .ru zone run FreeBSD. That's pretty amazing in
comparison with the official 15% throughout the world. (i'm gonna recheck
the figures - they're just plain old)

--
Alex Kapranoff,
2:50/383.20@fidonet,