List:       freebob-devel
Subject:    [Freebob-devel] MOTU: changes in svn 302
From:       Jonathan Woithe <jwoithe () physics ! adelaide ! edu ! au>
Date:       2006-09-15 7:59:35

Hi guys

I just checked in some relatively minor changes as svn 302.  I've started
implementing a more complete version of the sample rate control now that
streaming looks to be under control.

In testing the sample rate code with jackd I noticed that jackd wasn't able
to set the frequency of the MOTU.  This seems to be due to the lack of any
setSamplingFrequency() calls in the callchain used by jackd (which basically
means the C API).  To solve this problem I inserted a call to a device's
setSamplingFrequency() method prior to the device being prepared by the C
API.  At least on the Motu this results in jackd being able to set the
device's samplnig frequency on startup which IMHO is a desireable feature.
However, if anyone has a better idea as to where this could go I'm all ears.

Finally, a few days ago I mentioned a difficulty with jackd not calling a
device's detach() method on closedown.  It seems that the detach() call was
commented out for a reason but the reason isn't immediately apparent. I
think the jack guys are going to look into re-enabling it but only once
they've rediscovered what problem it was working around and fixing that.  In
the meantime I've implemented their suggested workaround: in the freebob
driver's finish() menthod, call detach() if it hasn't already been called.
This at least means the iso resources are freed when jackd exits and
prevents us running out of iso bandwidth after 3 or so restarts.

Regards
  jonathan