List:       freebob-devel
Subject:    Re: [Freebob-devel] apogee ad/da-16
From:       Pieter Palmers <pieterp () joow ! be>
Date:       2006-01-27 10:06:58

Daniel Wagner wrote:

>>Also, how "ready for prime time" is the driver.  I know this is a dumb
>>question, since it's in alpha, but I'm planning on migrating to
>>freebob+linux+jackd+ardour from my osx+apple_drivers+jackd+ardour
>>setup because I'm seeing lots of jack underruns that I think are
>>driver or scheduling related.
>

> freebob consists of two pars. One is the device discovering and device
> managing stuff (libfreebob). The other one is streaming part (freebob
> backend in jack). Because I'm concentrating on the libfreebob stuff I
> can only answer this question for this part. Pieter can better answer
> about the freebob backend in jack. (I have the impression that the
> streaming code has improved heavily compared with the pre-alpha releases )

The main problem left at this point are latency related, but it's not
very clear where exactly they are located: in our code or in the
linux1394 code. If you use buffer sizes that are big enough it will work
more than good enough.

Maybe the biggest flaw is that there is no ALSA support yet, only jackd.

I also experienced some problems with the MIDI support the second midi
port, so I would say that's still experimental.

I won't be able to tackle any of these problems before the end of february.

I didn't see a lot of reactions on the list regarding our latest
alpha-0.2.0 release, so I guess there are few problems. I didn't have
the time to actually use the drivers yet, so maybe the other people here
can share their thoughts...

Greets,

Pieter