List:       freebob-devel
Subject:    Re: [Freebob-devel] multi device & sync modes
From:       Daniel Wagner <wagi () monom ! org>
Date:       2005-06-05 20:42:20

> >>The phase88 has wordclock and spdif sync options (in windows), don't
> >>they rely on 'sync management' too?
> >
> >Yes, but they are using a different set of commands to achieve this. The
> >sync_mode program uses specific inquiry. I think BeBoB 2.11 (which the
> > phase 88 is based on) can't handle that.
>
> What is this other set of commands?

I don't know it. But I think Rene told me that they don't like the specific
inquiry command. Maybe with something else it may work.

> The phase88 seems to be capable of sending a sync stream. If you connect
> oPCR[1], the device starts transmitting a correct sync stream. This is
> how I achieved the 2 device setup: i connected oPCR[1] of the phase88
> with iPCR[0] of the quatafire.

The 2.11 version has some support for multidevice setup, but the concept and
the implementation is flawed. That's why it doesn't work correct and the
concept was changed for the 2.5 version.

> Similar, the phase88 has an iPCR[1] plug, but I don't know if this means
> that it can receive and interpret a sync stream.

The iPCR[1] is always (2.11 and 2.5) the sync stream plug. :)

> Something different:
> The sync_mode program assumes that the music subunit has only one input
> and one output sync plug. however, I see that my devices have two sync
> input plugs for the music subunit. Is this correct?

The 2.11 version has uses two sync plugs but the 2.5 version has always exact
one input and one output sync plug.

> Also, CSP sync detection doesn't work for the quatafire (nor for the
> phase88, but that's expected):

The quatafire uses a very old version of BeBoB. I don't think it will ever
work in multidevice setup. Sorry about that.

I'm using a reference design for developing. The things here work very good so
far. The only problem I see is that the 'set' operation seems not correct
yet. But the discovering works good.

cheers,
daniel