List:       freeamp-dev
Subject:    Re: control freeamp through http
From:       Robert Hart <ab6rah () bath ! ac ! uk>
Date:       2000-12-19 14:15:52

I have been thinking along similar lines for some time, and I'm sure a number of
people have made suggestions about how to do it on the list before. I recently
wrote a screensaver that displays the current track name and artist if freeamp
is running. It does this by peeking at the window title - it's a bit of a hack,
but it works, I would of course love to extend this concept further.

I would be wary therefore, of putting code into freeamp itself to generate HTML,
and to act as a web server. My suggestion would be to write a UI plugin, that
listens on a port, or named pipe or something (preferably something that can be
done both on UNIX and that other operating system) - in other words create
freeampd.
Personally I was thinking of starting with the linux command line UI, and
modifying it. But then I'm all talk and not much action....

Then write a CGI script that acts as a go between, doing things like
handling multiple users, etc.

Also, write a standalone app, that can load standard freeamp .UI, and talk to
the freeampd (over a LAN perhaps - so everyone in a house/office/cafe etc. can
have an input on the choice of music). I think the modular structure of freeamp
should make this really easy to do.

On a perhaps slightly unrelated issue, it would be great to have a jukebox mode,
where when a track is played, it is removed from the currentplaylist, and if the
current playlist is empty, freeamp plays randomly from my music.