List:       freeamp-dev
Subject:    SEGFAULT in StreamTimer
From:       Chris Kuklewicz <chrisk () MIT ! EDU>
Date:       2000-09-23 4:31:59

As a hunter stalks his prey, drawing ever nearer, I have managed to
located a segfault.  The StreamTimer is called every 30 seconds,
and after several times being called it creates a segfault.

1) Start freeamp
2) Stop the first song which has started playing
3) Open MyMusic browser
4) Wait for a long time....top shows no memory leak and it does not segfault
5) Click to open the top of the streams tree, which starts the timer
6) Watch a slow memory leak in top.  roughly 4 to 40 bytes per minute.
7) Freeamp segfaults

In the last 3 runs, StreamTimer was called 6, 5, then 3 time before dying.

The offending code is in
Error FreeAmpStreams::PCData(string &data)
where it does not check m_info, which is NULL the "last" it is called,
causing the segfault.

I have not solved the problem yet, but I am looking at it.

<suggestion>Please "assert" all the pointers you expect to be valid in
any function before using them.</suggestion>