List:       freeamp-dev
Subject:    running freeamp on linuxppc
From:       Marty Schoch <mschoch () multicasttech ! com>
Date:       2001-09-21 19:45:54

I've been trying to get freeamp (latest cvs) to run on my new linuxppc
machine.  XMMS and mpg123 can play mp3's fine, so I don't think its
a sound device issue.  Player loads fine, but when playing stream or
local mp3 file the player segfaults.

I've spent a little time trying to track the problem down, and I think
it may be inside the XingDecoder code.  Specifically in the
unpack_huff() function.

Operation proceeds several times through the "have_linbits" case,
during the outer for loop things seem ok.  However, there is an
inner loop which typically breaks out after one run, but immidiately
before the crash it seems to loop a second time (ie NOT
t[1+code].b.purgebits) this intern modifies the "t" pointer.  Which I
believe is incorrect when the loop continues.

I don't really know enough about the huffman encode/decode to understand
the semantics here, but any suggestions, or reports from other bigendian
ports would be appreciated.

Marty Schoch
<mschoch@multicasttech.com>