List:       free-expression
Subject:    Re: ArtistForum.com Newletter 17-Jan-00
From:       Jason Thaxter <jason () thaxter ! net>
Date:       2000-01-18 20:29:28

Quoting seanl@literati.org:
ohnesorge wrote:
>>Spam blockers are a sort of
>> cyber terrorists, and somebody called

I consider spammers to be vandals.  I'm on a dozen
active mailing lists and I get plenty of spam on my own
without needing more "Home Busine$$
Opportunities!!!!!!!!"  The argument should refer to
"vigilantes", not "terrorists".  Which might I be if I
owned a guard dog to protect against vandals?  I use the
MAPS RBL for my own mail, on my own server; I don't see
how that makes me a terrorist *or* a vigilante.

I agree with the final assessment that follows, with the
note that I'd probably wait for truly offtopic mail
and/or blatant non-compliance before taking any action:

>  However, if
> Lynn has already asked them to remove this list, then
> it's still a
> violation of netiquette, and subscribing the list
> server to a blackhole
> list is probably better than only allowing subscribers
> to mail the list.
> At this point, the list traffic is low and I've only
> seen one "spammy"
> message (besides mine), so it's probably not necessary
to do either yet.