List:       fossil-users
Subject:    Re: [fossil-users] not fossil-specific: use of tags/branches
From:       Richard Hipp <drh () sqlite ! org>
Date:       2014-04-25 11:28:51

On Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 5:58 AM, Michai Ramakers <m.ramakers@gmail.com>wrote:

> I find myself having to answer the simple question "what part of the
> repo does a tag apply to", and for older repos and ill-chosen
> tagnames, this is not always obvious. Of course from fossil's point of
> view, a tag applies to the repo, period.

If the same tag applies to two or more things and you use that tag in a
context where it needs to mean one thing, then Fossil normally picks the
thing that is lastest in time.

So, for example, the Fossil self-hosting repo has 4954 objects tagged with
"trunk" - essentially every check-in that is on the trunk.  But if you type
"fossil update trunk" or "fossil diff --from trunk" then it resolves
"trunk" to be the latest check-in with that tag.

--
D. Richard Hipp
drh@sqlite.org