List:       fossil-users
Subject:    Re: [fossil-users] Code review (reloaded)
From:       Nico Williams <nico () cryptonector ! com>
Date:       2013-05-29 0:07:27

On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 10:25 AM, Richard Hipp <drh@sqlite.org> wrote:
> If you forget to do it then, you can always visit a check-in after it is
> committed and click on the "Edit" link to do things like revise the check-in
> comment, update the check-in time, or move the check-in to a different
> branch (such as "experimental" or "pending-review" or "mistake").
>
> Sometimes somebody will check-in a change to trunk that I don't agree with.
> When that happens, I just move their check-in off into a branch.

Hmm, wait, isn't that re-writing history?  I'd expect that instead
you'd commit a backout commit (that undoes the changes from the
undesirable commit) and possibly cherry-pick the undesirable commit
onto a different (likely new) branch.

In particular, isn't this a breaking change for downstream clones of the trunk?

> A tangent:  Note that when you "edit" a check-in, you are not really
> changing the check-in.  You are, instead, adding additional information.
> Fossil does not erase or modify, it only augments.  The original check-in
> comment, and time, and branch are all still there for anybody to see.  By
> 'editing' the commit, you are adding a new record to the repository that
> says "for display purposes, modify checking XYZ as follows..."

OK, so editing the check-in is not history re-writing, but what about
the "moving" part?  Are you merely creating a new branch headed by
that check-in and then resetting trunk to point to a line of check-ins
that excludes the bad one?  If so, isn't that still a breaking change
to trunk?  Or did you mean something more like checking-in a backout
check-in?

> Notes also that Fossil allows you to start a new branch named (for example)
> "experimental" even if there already exists one or more other branches with
> the same name.  At
> http://www.fossil-scm.org/fossil/timeline?n=200&r=experimental it looks like
> there are a dozen or more "experimental" branches currently in the Fossil
> tree.

How does one tell one apart from another?

Nico