List:       fossil-users
Subject:    [fossil-users] On vdiff
From:       Lluís Batlle i Rossell <viric () viric ! name>
Date:       2012-02-16 17:24:42

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 12:11:36PM -0500, Richard Hipp wrote:
> 2012/2/16 Lluís Batlle i Rossell <viric@viric.name>

> > the
> > >     http://yourdomain/fossil/vdiff?from=VERSION1&to=VERSION2&sbs=1
> > >
> > > example:
> > >
> > >     http://www.fossil-scm.org/fossil/vdiff?from=release&to=trunk&sbs=1
> >
> > Ah great.
> >
> > It does not work in our 1.21 though. It only shows the files modified,
> > without
> > diff. I'll either wait the next release or try trunk.
> >

> I think on version 1.21 you can substitute "detail=1" in place of "sbs=1"
> and see in-line diffs.

Ah ok - nevertheless I updated to the trunk tip already!

So some comments (or requests) on vdiff at trunk:
Now there is no "detail=0", right? Seeing only the list of files is also
interesting.

I tried "to=tai" (a branch we have, not closed), and it says "Artifact tai is
not a checkin.". Other branches we tried work fine.

Could it be made so vdiff understood 'to=ckout'? :)

And... what do you suggest to see the amount of changes done in a branch since
the last merge? I'm still always using "fossil test-find-pivot trunk branch",
and then displaying the diff between the pivot and the branch. I'd welcome some
easy interface for these kind of diffs I'm doing often.

For example, I'd appreciate something similar to from=trunk&to=annotate_links,
but showing what does annotate_links have related to trunk.
But as annotate_links is not up to date with trunk, I have to run:
$ fossil test-find-pivot trunk annotate_links
pivot=c80ee413ab77fb46b01c68ea82e2ad9a9446cc76
http://www.fossil-scm.org/fossil/vdiff?from=c80ee413ab77fb46b01c68ea82e2ad9a9446cc76&to=annotate_links

(I've been very surprised on the horizontal diff, btw! Very nice)

Thank you,
Lluís.