List:       fossil-users
Subject:    Re: [fossil-users] C API
From:       Stephan Beal <sgbeal () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2012-01-07 23:41:42

On Sat, Jan 7, 2012 at 11:55 PM, Chad Perrin <code@apotheon.net> wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 07, 2012 at 06:50:22PM +0100, Stephan Beal wrote:
>
> Search the archives for this group for many very long threads on this
> > topic. Management Summary: it can't be done without what amounts to a
> > complete rewrite, which would be a huge amount of work requiring a good
> > deal of knowledge of how fossil works internally.
>
> Okay, but . . . what about just a general C or Ruby API?

My point was: there isn't one, and won't be one until someone volunteers
for the task (and manages to pull it off). Fossil is implemented as a
monolithic application, not an app on top of a library, and internally it
is not at all set up to be run "like a library." Yes, we would all (or
almost all) like to see it be refactored as a lib/app combination, but it
would require a huge effort, far beyond what any of the current
contributors can commit to.

--
----- stephan beal
http://wanderinghorse.net/home/stephan/