List:       fossil-users
Subject:    Re: [fossil-users] unittest Regression Testing
From:       Steve Landers <steve () digitalsmarties ! com>
Date:       2010-04-10 0:27:01

On 10/04/2010, at 2:55 AM, Rob Powell wrote:

> I have been looking into various tools used for unit testing and regression
> testing, thinking on how to approach the goal of having a regression test
> framework for fossil.
>
> I want to use something that is fairly cross-platform, running on all
> environments that fossil runs, windows, linux, mac.
> I want to have something that is mostly contained within itself, as few
> external dependencies as possible.
> I want to be able to edit and add tests without going through a development
> process of re-compiling and building the test framework.
> Anyone (on any system) should be able to work on the framework without
> requiring specialized tools/packages to be installed.

I suggest you seriously look at the tcltest facility, used by the Tcl/Tk test suite. \
There are lots of links from the Tclers Wiki Tcltest page at \
http://wiki.tcl.tk/tcltest

It can be run by a stand-alone Tcl interpreter (single file - tclkit), is mature and \
extremely capable, with lots of examples.

Given that many in the fossil community are capable Tclers, I'd also anticipate a lot \
of support is available.

I'm all for reinventing square wheels, but on this occassion I suggest that it would \
be better to use something proven, capable, well supported and evolving :)

Steve