List:       forrest-dev
Subject:    Expanding and collapsing submenus
From:       Justus.Piater () ULg ! ac ! be (Justus H !  Piater)
Date:       2004-01-08 18:30:23

Hi -

Forrest has several ways to produce nice menus automatically; to me
this is the Big Added Value of Forrest. (While I'm at it, why not
deliver Forrest with a complete Cocoon? Or even better, make it easy
to work with an external Cocoon installation? For my purposes, I have
to add it all back in by hand...)

There's one common and practical structure that I miss (or correct me
if this has been added since Forrest 0.5.1):

  Menus whose hierarchies are mostly hidden, except for the
  subhierarchy to which the current page belongs.

This is like Forrest's default configuration, except that the latter
always displays all subhierarchies. Naturally, to enter into a
subhierarchy, the top-level heading should be a live link (that links
to the same page as the first link of the subhierarchy).

Shouldn't this be fairly easy to implement?

Recently, someone mentioned expandable hierarchies using JavaScript -
nice and useful, but there are also good reasons to avoid JavaScript.

Justus

--
Justus H. Piater, Ph.D.         http://www.montefiore.ulg.ac.be/~piater/
Institut Montefiore, B28        Phone: +32-4-366-2279