List:       forrest-dev
Subject:    Re: Document DTD vs. Docbook DTD
From:       Christopher Lenz <cmlenz () gmx ! de>
Date:       2002-02-28 21:56:26

28.02.2002 17:33:56, Stefano Mazzocchi <stefano@apache.org> wrote:

>This is a holy war and I don't want to fight it.

Agreed (- didn't want to start a "war", I was just feeling that no
consideration of the topic isn't good either.)

>Just one thing: there is a lot of content already written in docbook
>in the world and a lot of content written using Document DTD (various
>versions, but almost equivalent), so we should support both in order
>to avoid loosing some content.

I think it's not so much about supporting 'legacy' formats.

DocBook is a very good format for writing technical documentation that
can be transformed into 25+ page PDF documents for nice offline
reading. The need for such printable, well-structured documentation is
the reason I've started migrating to DocBook for Slide.

>But how should we do that?
>
>Ideas are welcome.

For the typical "Welcome to project Dada. Project Dada enables you to
do ... You can grab the latest release here, or view the online user's
guide here..." webpage, DocBook arguably may not be the right way to
go, especially when considering dynamic generation and integration
with graphs, todos/changelogs etc. But for "User's Guide" style
documentation it is ideal.

Projects might want to choose DocBook for such documentation with good
reasons. But still, they want this documentation to be available as
integrated-looking webpages within the project website.

So what I would like Forrest to provide (and yes, I'd contribute if I
feel Forrest is going into a direction that I find useful for the most
urgent task: real documentation) would be:
- For generation of the website, provide stylesheets to transform
DocBook to the Document-DTD (which should probably always be done
offline)
- Provide stylesheets that transform DocBook into FO/PDF, featuring a
look that is common across Apache projects, and that work with Apache
technologies.

So maybe, directly supporting DocBook isn't the highest priority task
after all. But making it easier for projects to generate high-quality,
printable documentation should be more important than generating
maling-list-subscriber graphs, IMHO.

-chris
cmlenz at gmx.de