List:       forgerock-opendj
Subject:    [Opendj] Schema definitions and matching rules
From:       michael () stroeder ! com (=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Michael_Str=F6der?=)
Date:       2011-12-21 6:51:59

Matthew Swift wrote:
> Personally, I think that the lack of per-syntax default matching rules
> in LDAP is a usability bug in the standard. Systems should always be
> engineered for the common case (i.e. least surprise), yet it's pretty
> exceptional to not want to be able to perform matching.

According to the standard I think each LDAP server implementation is
free to have a default set for matching rules for a particular syntax.
But IMO you should then publish the matching rules applied in the
subschema subentry. Maybe you could make this configurable behaviour.

When generating the diff between old and new entry my web2ldap looks
whether EQUALITY matching rule is defined for a certain attribute type
and it's also published in attributes matchingRules in the subschema
subentry. In that case old attribute values are explicitly deleted (not
just the whole attribute).

This is done to provoke collisions on the server during processing the
modify request tobe more on the safe side in case different users alter
the same entries. (Additionally the assertion control with appopriate
filter is sent along with the modify request for that purpose.)

Ciao, Michael.