List:       forgerock-openam
Subject:    [OpenAM] Questions with regard to OpenLDAP
From:       bernhard.thalmayr () painstakingminds ! com (Bernhard Thalmayr)
Date:       2012-06-29 15:45:41

Am 6/29/12 1:52 PM, schrieb Isaac Hailperin:
> Hi,
>
> a few questions:
>
> * In order to use OpenLDAP as a user store, I need to add some
> attributes and object classes. At least, thats what I learn from [1].
> What are they exactly used for? Do users need these additional
> attributes in order to be authenticated? or authorized, or ...?

These attributes (and objectclasses) are only needed if you want to use
specific OpenAM services which have to store their state within th
idenity object in the data store.

E.G. user-level session timeouts (session services), OpenAM account
lockout, persistent federation,

> * If I want to use an existing OpenLDAP directory, do I need to change
> it? Just adding the schema, or will all the users need to be modified?
> (i.e. adding attributes from the newly added schema)

You don't need to modify the entries in the data store to let OpenAM
consume that identity information.

You may adjust the data store config to make OpenAM only consume those
information needed. The default show every possibly attribute. If you're
familiar with LDAP this should be straigth forward. If not ...

> * If I have configured OpenAM with OpenLDAP as a user store (I just
> provided the ldap credentials to the OpenDJ Dialog, is that the way to
> go?),

Yes.

However you have to decide with auth-module to use (datastore vs. LDAP
auth) ... you might be better of with LDAP-auth module.

  where does OpenAM store session data, such as which user has
> gotten wich authorization, or who is authenticated?

  Does that also go
> into OpenLDAP, or is that stored in the config store?

This is OpenAM internal ...

  Would it be
> possible to store this data in an external database such as mysql?

not yet

-Bernhard