List:       forensics
Subject:    Re: The imaging process and RAID
From:       "Ryan B. Lynch" <rlynch () strozllc ! com>
Date:       2004-03-03 15:41:17

Hi, Trevor,

On Wednesday 03 March 2004 12:18 pm, Trevor O'Donnal wrote:
> For a RAID 1 system, I would simply image each drive seperately
> since the idea with RAID 1 is for each drive to be a copy of the
> other.

While this is _mostly_ correct, there are circumstances where
different drives in a RAID 1 array could have different contents:
	- If one of the drives has been marked as "failed" and removed from
the array by the controller, no writes will have occurred on it since
the failure.  Controllers sometimes fail drives that still work, so
you might have a "fossilized" image of the volume sitting on such a
disk.
	- If the array doesn't use the entirety of one or more disks, the
unused disk areas will not necessarily be identical.  Many IDE RAID
controllers have a "gigabyte boundary" feature (may go by other names
on various devices) that allows you to round the used portion on the
drive down to the next lowest even GB's worth of data, to allow
replacement drives from different manufacturers to coexist peacefully
(different drive makers may have differently-sized "40 GB" hard
drives, right?).  Any data that pre-dated the construction of the
array (or the addition of a particular drive to the array) will still
be present in that area.

> This is the most simple solution in my mind. However, if I
> am confronted with a RAID 0 or RAID 5 system, or even a RAID 1+0
> system, the problem isn't quite so easy to solve.

I assume that your concern here is that you don't get individual disk
images if you image the volume through the RAID controller instead of
imaging the disks individually and reconstructing the array.  This is
a valid concern, but I think it can be answered by examining the
state of the array and the state of the disks (most hardware
controllers have some kind of BIOS utility that
builds/maintains/reports on the arrays).  Check for unused space,
failed disks, etc.  If you find any disk area that's not part of the
array volume, you can pull the individual disk and image that portion
separately, into a separate file.  Since those areas aren't part of
the array, you should be able to examine them without having to worry
about RAID at all.  Then, image the RAID volume through the
controller as normal.  This isn't quite as neat, but it is a
complete, qualified forensic image.

> Encase could do
> the job if you run it while the system is booted into Windows, but
> then I would be limited to Encase's image format. Also, what if
> it's a Netware server or a Linux system? In this case, I have been
> successful in obtaining images of RAID 0 and 5 arrays by booting to
> a DOS based imaging program like Safeback. Usually the software
> will recognize the RAID array as a single large drive that can be
> copied to a blank drive.

If I'm not mistaken, I think that the RAID controller itself is
presenting the array to the OS as a single disk device.  That is,
unless Safeback has somewhat more advanced software RAID capabilities
than Linux does.  So you can use either DOS or Linux (or even
Windows, if you saw fit), as long as you have a driver for that type
of RAID controller on the OS platform that you choose.

> The problem here is that occassionaly you
> may run into an array that is large enough as to not fit on a
> single blank hard drive. In this case, you would need some sort of
> alternative storage such as a tape backup unit or some other type
> of storage that is large enough to hold the data, and at the same
> time be accessible from whatever imaging program you are using.
> Safeback and many other utilities have the ability to break up the
> data into chunks of a specified size, but this is not always
> allowable depending on the case. I recently had a case where the
> client required that all the hard drives be copied to other hard
> drives. I was not allowed to create image files.

Client needs aside, it's easy to break raw image files into chunks
using 'dd' and 'split', or by passing the "skip" paramter to 'dd'.

On a side note, what's the difference between creating image files and
copying drive-to-drive, other than the practical considerations?  Was
their objections a legal issue, or did they not trust the evidence
file format as a valid forensic copy?

> Another theory which I have never tried, would be to image each
> member of the array seperately to another drive using a new drive
> for each member, then purchasing a RAID controller that matches the
> one in the subject system, and use it to rebuild the array in the
> lab later. Has anyone tested this? I'm not sure it would work
> unless the copy drives are the exact same brand and model as the
> originals.

Linux's software RAID subsystem (which has matured astonishingly in
the past few years) has the ability to rebuild arrays that were
originally formed by certain hardware controllers.  You may be able
to loopback-mount your individual disk images, write a conf file, and
restart the array on an examination machine.  The specifics are too
big for this forum--check the Linux Software RAID HOWTO document, and
then ask around on the linux-raid listserv.  This method has the
advantage that it doesn't care about the original disks, either in
terms of size or model.  Make sure you try it out on a couple of
testbeds before you use it in the field, though.

- -Ryan