List:       forensics
Subject:    Testing freeware ADS detection programs
From:       H C <keydet89 () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2001-12-07 17:02:14

Tools examined
streams.exe from SysInternals
sfind.exe from FoundStone
CrucialADS from CrucialSecurity
lads.exe from HeySoft.de (Frank Heyne)

Note:  All tools were downloaded from the author's web
sites on 5, 6, and 7 Dec, 2001.

Testing platform is Win2K.

Methodology
Create a directory called 'c:\ads'.  Create several
ADSs within the directory, attached to both the
directory listing as well as files.  Do so using the
'type' command.  Also, add an ADS to a file using
Explorer...select the file, right-click on it, select
Properties, and then Summary.  Fill in arbitrary info,
and save.

All tools are located in c:\tools.

Results
I started by running the command:

c:\tools>lads c:\ads

The result was:

Scanning directory c:\ads\

      size  ADS in file
----------  ---------------------------------
     50960  c:\ads\:np.exe
     50960  c:\ads\:np3.exe
       120  c:\ads\myfile.txt:?SummaryInformation
        28  c:\ads\myfile.txt:hidden.txt
     34064  c:\ads\myfile.txt:sol.exe
         0
c:\ads\myfile.txt:{4c8cc155-6c1e-11d1-8e41-00c04fb9386d}
     50960  c:\ads\myfile2.txt:np.exe

    187092 bytes found in 7 alternate data streams

The results of lads.exe show exactly what I've put in
the test directory.  I have 2 copies of Notepad.exe
associated with the directory listing, a copy of
Solitaire associated with a file, and various and
other sundry ADSs.  The two odd ADSs are a result of
saving Summary information for myfile.txt via Windows
Explorer.

Next, I ran sfind.exe from FoundStone's
ForensicToolkit:

C:\tools>sfind c:\ads

The results are as follows:

Searching...
c:\ads
  myfile2.txt:np.exe Size: 50960
Finished

That's odd.  So then I checked the syntax:

C:\tools>sfind /?
Seek and Destroy - Information Warfare

SFind v1.2.2 - Copyright(c) 1998, Foundstone, Inc.
Alternate Data Stream Finder
Programming by JD Glaser - All Rights Reserved
        Usage - sfind [path] /ns
        [dirpath]       Directory to search - none
equals current
        -ns             Skip sub-directories
        - or /          Either switch statement can be
used
        -?              Help
COMMAND PROMPT MUST HAVE A MINIMUM WIDTH OF 80
CHARACTERS
Zechariah 12:9 - "I will seek to destroy all nations
who oppose Jerusalem"

See http://www.foundstone.com for updates/fixes

Okay.  So then I tried moving up a directory and
running:

C:\tools>sfind c:\

At this point, sfind.exe began checking the entire
hard drive.  While it did find some ADSs I'd put into
another directory for a different test, it never
reported finding the ADSs in c:\ads.  Also, sfind.exe
seemed to be stuck in a loop...it reported finding the
ADSs in the other directory 3 times, and continued
searching the same directories and files over and over
again...I stopped the program with Ctrl-C after the
third sweep.

I followed that with one more test:

C:\tools>sfind c:\ads\*
Searching...
Finished

Ah...it didn't find the ADSs.  On to the next
tool...streams.exe from SysInternals:

C:\tools>streams c:\ads

This resulted in:

Streams v1.3 - Enumerate alternate NTFS data streams
Copyright (C) 1999-2001 Mark Russinovich
Sysinternals - www.sysinternals.com

c:\ads:
          :np.exe:$DATA 50960
         :np3.exe:$DATA 50960

Okay, let's try another command:

C:\tools>streams c:\ads\*

This one resulted in:

Streams v1.3 - Enumerate alternate NTFS data streams
Copyright (C) 1999-2001 Mark Russinovich
Sysinternals - www.sysinternals.com

c:\ads\myfile.txt:
   :?SummaryInformation:$DATA   120
      :hidden.txt:$DATA 28
         :sol.exe:$DATA 34064
   :{4c8cc155-6c1e-11d1-8e41-00c04fb9386d}:$DATA
 0
c:\ads\myfile2.txt:
          :np.exe:$DATA 50960

Okay, so there are the ADSs associated with the file.
For the syntax of the command, you have to go to
http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/misc.shtml#Streams
and you'll see:

Usage: streams [-s] <file or directory>

-s         Recurse subdirectories.

Streams takes wildcards e.g. 'streams *.txt'.

Finally, the last tool is CrucialADS.  This tool is
GUI based, and when it opens, your only choices are a
drop-down box of available NTFS drives.  The tool
scanned quickly, and reported the ADSs it found (and
it found all of them) in red text.

Conclusion
lads.exe is by far the best tool available.  B/c it's
a CLI tool, it can be easily scripted, and the output
can be piped across a socket (netcat) during a 'live'
forensics investigation.  While CrucialADS found the
ADSs with as little user interaction as lads.exe, it's
not nearly as flexible as lads.exe.

http://greetings.yahoo.com