List:       fop-user
Subject:    Re: Problem with rendering PNG images
From:       Jeremias Maerki <dev () jeremias-maerki ! ch>
Date:       2008-04-24 8:43:42

On 24.04.2008 10:18:56 Jean-François El Fouly wrote:
> Thanks very much for this detailed explanation.
> Converting the PNG's to JPEG with appropriate colorspace parameters is
> certainly an option if this solves the problem ?

It probably won't. I think the main problem is our lack of understanding
of color management and therefore we have limitations in FOP.

> We're already manipulating these images in the different publication
> processes so if this could be the solution, why not ?
>
> After my first post I had a fairly detailed conversation with an
> in-house graphics designer. We tried direct export of a test image from
> Photoshop to PDF (using Photoshop so we stay in the Adobe realm all the
> way) and realized that even in this shortest possible process it's
> difficult to get the result we need in PDF (not quite impossible but
> difficult, you really have to change various options).

Yes, that's what I concluded in the end. I managed to get the colors
almost fully saturated with Scribus. But only almost! There were still
differences between Acrobat and GhostView.

> A tough problem at the end.
>
> Thanks again !

Jeremias Maerki