List:       fop-user
Subject:    Re: FOP 0.94 bin - Severe Exceptions on Solaris Box
From:       Vincent Hennebert <vincent.hennebert () anyware-tech ! com>
Date:       2008-03-26 11:22:56

Hi,

Sorry to wake up a bit late, but I'd like to bring some precisions.

First, there's no particular differences between the .tar.gz and the
.zip distribution files. In both, the fop shell script is in unix format
(lines ending with LF), while the fop.bat, fop.cmd and fop.js script
files are in dos format (lines ending with CRLF). No need to convert
them with dos2unix, no need to privilege one distribution file over the
other one.

The reason of providing both .tar.gz and .zip files is that Windows
users will naturally choose the .zip file because they are more used to
this extension; while Unix users will tend to choose the .tar.gz file.
But both platforms can handle both formats (I think), and while the
.tar.gz format is smaller this does no longer make much difference with
nowadays' download rates. It's mainly historical now.

As to the shell script problem on Solaris:

Matt Healy wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Mar 2008, J.Pietschmann wrote:
>> Matt Healy wrote:
>>> I went back and checked the script, and found that IFS is being set just
>>> to the newline character, and does not include spaces.
>>
>> This is intentional: it avoids splitting directorie names which
>> contain spaces, which is rather common now especially on Windows.
>
> How about this as an alternative, then: simply move the assignment to
> (and export of) IFS to a point immediately *after* the evaluation of the
> command-line arguments.  In this way, the loop will appropriately
> differentiate between the arguments, rather than failing to break the
> evaluation of '"$@"' on the spaces between quoted values.
>
> In other words, rewrite:
>
>     export IFS="
>     "
>     for arg in "$@" ; do
>       . . . .
>     done
>
> as:
>
>     for arg in "$@" ; do
>       . . . .
>     done
>     export IFS="
>     "

This export statement does no longer appear in the 0.95beta release. It
seems that it was not needed anyway and it has been moved further down
in the script. Can you please try with the latest version and report
back on this list?

That said, this script looks quite complicated to me. It may make sense
to streamline it a bit. For example, I'm not sure the JAVACMD and
JAVA_HOME variables are still needed on modern Unix distribution. Also,
maybe we can expect bash to be installed by default on every platform
now? Perhaps even Python. If there are any volunteers...

<snip/>

HTH,
Vincent