List:       fop-user
Subject:    Re: Text wrapping around a graphic
From:       Vincent Hennebert <vincent.hennebert () anyware-tech ! com>
Date:       2008-01-26 14:12:57

Hi Will,

Will Hollins a écrit :
> Thanks for the fast response.
> Are there plans to implement fo:float?

Sure. I'm planning to work on this as soon as I've managed to put 48
hours in a day ;-)

> or is someone currently working on it?

I started to study the corresponding part of the spec and to design an
algorithm 1 and 1/2 year ago, but have never had the time to finish. All
the documentation is still on the wiki however:
http://wiki.apache.org/xmlgraphics-fop/GoogleSummerOfCode2006/FloatsImplementationProgress/ImplementingSideFloats

> If not, I would be interested in taking it on.

You're welcome! Switch to the fop-dev mailing list for any questions or
discussions regarding the implementation.

> Is there any particular reason that it has been left out so far?

Lack of business interest, plus the fact that it's all but trivial. It
involves fiddling with the Knuth algorithm, both at the line and page
levels. The code might not be ready for that, and moreover Simon Pepping
is currently working on a branch whose goal is to mix line and page
breaking. That might have an impact on how floats would be implemented.

But that shouldn't prevent you to start having a look if you're willing
to!

Vincent