List:       fop-user
Subject:    Re: A way to automatically generate metrics AND config entries for *.ttf?
From:       Jeremias Maerki <dev () jeremias-maerki ! ch>
Date:       2006-06-29 10:24:01

No news. The guy who does this (Vincent) is also involved with a Google
Summer of Code project (before-floats implementation) which gets
precedence over the font stuff. I may get to this myself later but
nothing is likely to happen before August if noone else jumps in.

TrueType does indeed contain some fields which indicate some properties
of a font. Type1 fonts are probably a little more difficult. I'm not
up-to-date as to how far Victor Mote and Vincent Hennebert are with all
the details on FOrayFont (the thing we're intending to adopt).

I guess if you want to jump in and help, nobody will stop you. :-)

On 29.06.2006 10:50:16 Stefan Scholl wrote:
> Andreas L Delmelle <a_l.delmelle@pandora.be> wrote:
> > On Jun 12, 2006, at 00:07, Stefan Scholl wrote:
> >> I have to find a way to let a user install fonts. It would have
> >> been nice to just import all the known TTF from his system.
> >
> > Yeah, it would rock! :)
> > As a heads-up: Efforts are ongoing in that direction, no timeline,
> > but high on our wish-list as well.
>
> Any news regarding that effort?
>

> There _have_ to be a way to identify the style and weight.
>
> How does the OS know how to choose which font file? When it uses
> the supplied subfamilies it has to "guess".
>
> I've found the following subfamilies:
>
> Bold
> Bold Italic
> Bold Oblique