List:       fop-user
Subject:    Re: Using a regular font as italic in FOP
From:       Chris Bowditch <bowditch_chris () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2006-06-27 8:05:10

Coutcher, Joseph James wrote:

> Ok…I wish to use "Morningstar 1" as a font within my FO document, but I
> would like to use the italic version.
>

> There is no italic "Morningstar 1" TTF file in the “fonts” directory in
> Windows XP SP2, yet I can set the font to italic both in Microsoft Word
> and Notepad.

M$ software emulates Bold and italic fonts from a regular font. To
emulate bold I know it prints the same glyph a few times with a slight
offset for subsequent prints. Not quite sure how it emulates italic
fonts. FOP has no facility to do this emulation. You need to supply the
font. There are tools out there to help you manipulate fonts, so you
could try downloading one of them and creating an italic version of
Morningstar1. Note, that manipulating fonts using these tools is not easy :(

<snip/>

Chris