List:       fop-user
Subject:    Re: [Servlet Error]-[]: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError
From:       "J.Pietschmann" <j3322ptm () yahoo ! de>
Date:       2006-01-23 22:57:35

Fabrizio Caldas wrote:
> I'm getting a [Servlet Error]-[]: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError when
> creating the PDF files in Asian langs only.

Best guess: East Asian fonts tend to be large, and much of the
data is held in memory - multiple times - while finishing the PDF.

There is no easy way around this (except giving the JVM as much memory
as possible - check the FAQ).
Some more hints:
- Serialize all FOP requests through a singleton. This avoids having
  two (or more) parallel threads both eating lots of memory, but may
  have an overall negative performance impact  on your application.
- If you know in advance that you use only a relatively small subset
  of all east asian characters, look for an appropriate font or create
  a custom font.

J.Pietschmann