List:       fop-user
Subject:    Re: FOP and threading
From:       Chris Bowditch <bowditch_chris () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2005-12-19 9:50:09

Jeremias Maerki wrote:

> On 17.12.2005 13:40:47 Andreas L Delmelle wrote:
>
>>With FOP 0.90, it shouldn't pose a problem AFAICT, to instantiate
>>multiple FOUserAgents each linked to a different configuration. When
>>constructing Fop instances, you can rather easily decide which
>>FOUserAgent to use. Don't know if this is the type of flexibility you
>>were looking for.
>

> Yes, no problem with 0.90, I think. We'll certainly have to improve the
> situation a little especially since some of the setup code is run every
> time a document is processed (setup per rendering-run). However, most of
> this setup code should only be called once for performance reasons. This
> will be fixed in the near future. The ability to set up two differently
> configured FOPs in one JVM will remain intact.

Actually there is a problem with FOP 0.90 in multi-threaded
environments. The use of commons logging to capture warning messages,
the commons logger is a singleton, and so you get the warning messages
for all threads in the same place. Not a show stopper, but something
that should be addressed at some point.

Chris