List:       fop-user
Subject:    Re: FOP and Fonts
From:       "J.Pietschmann" <j3322ptm () yahoo ! de>
Date:       2005-04-30 19:36:41

Andreas L. Delmelle wrote:
>>You can search some standard directories (C:/Windows/fonts,
>>/usr/X11R6/fonts etc.), which is not very robust. Unfortunately,
>>Java deprecated access to environment variables...
>

> Deprecated? Well, it's a bit confusing: in 1.4.2 indeed they are. I don't
> get that impression when browsing through the 1.5 API docs though...

The 1.3 docs state that System.getenv will be removed real soon
now and that everybody should switch to Java properties. Maybe
they found this impractical and changed mind...

If there's access to evvironment variables
  getenv("WINDIR")+"/fonts"
will get the windows font diretory (don't copy this literally...)
There are environment variables set by an X server which should point
to the font ressources there. If the program is not run in an X
environment, there should be tricks involving xmkmf or IMakefiles
for getting the X font directory, provided IMake is installed and
properly configured on this machine (don't count on that unless
you doublechecked yourself).

J.Pietschmann